Skip links on import?

Hi,

I’ve tried searching the docs and this channel for more info but no luck so far. My question is: is it possible to deny following symlinks on import of a huge already tagged directory structure, so I don’t end up with duplicates afterwards.

My case is my classical music library which I would like to import in a separate beets library for query purposes. It receives a special treatment because, well, classical is difficult to organize as we all know. I have my albums tagged with Picard and organized under a composer directory. And then there is this VA directory holding albums featuring more than one composer, and there’s quite a few of them. Those are symlinked to under the respective composers, so I have access to them from say three places. And the problem – so does beets! And it will treat them as separate entities. Is there a way I can avoid that by denying the importer to follow any symlinks?

Currently, if I have for example something like this:

Classical
├── Debussy
│   └── Debussy, Faure, Ravel: Piano Trios [The Florestan Trio] [Hyperion 1999] (link)
├── Faure
│   └── Debussy, Faure, Ravel: Piano Trios [The Florestan Trio] [Hyperion 1999] (link)
└── VA
    └── Debussy, Faure, Ravel: Piano Trios [The Florestan Trio] [Hyperion 1999] (dir)

I do something of the sort:

find ~/Music/Classical -mindepth 2 -maxdepth 2 -type d -print0 | 
    xargs -0 -l beet import -AWC -i

Any way to achieve that without resorting to external tools?

I don’t think there’s currently a built-in way; sorry! I like your find-based approach, though. :smiley: