[solved ]Import songs from earlier instance into library?

Hi all,

this might be a strange question, but I hope somebody will be able to help me out.

I used to play around with beets a while back and created a library; let’s call it lib1, located in /NAS/media/audio/music. All files here have been imported -and therefor tagged- by beets. I wasn’t too fond on the cli back then (…i know…), so I eventually stopped.

Now that I try to do as much as possible in the cli, I started using beets again. There is lib2, located in /NAS/media/audio/collection/, which includes subdirectories such as Non-Album, _audiobooks, compilations, music, and playlists.

So here is my question: is there a way to mass-import all these tracks from lib1 into lib2 without having to go through the regular import process? I mean, just get all these files in the new folder without having to confirm artist/album etc?

Technically, I could just mv the files by hand as I only use beets to import and tag media, but not to search (so the moved files would not actually be in my beets library, but they would be in the correct folder for mpd etc. to access these files). But if there is a way to do this right, I’d prefer that over just manually copying and therefore not having those files in the beets library file.

Thanks in advance for your help :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sure! That’s what the -A flag is for, which disables autotagging. If I were you, I’d beet import -A both directories while copying (or moving) them to a third, fresh directory.

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile: Works great