Questinabale usage of Albumartist field

Hi,

I’m pretty new to beets but had lately a deep dive into it.

Most of my new data doesn’t appear in complete albums, but this should be a more side note.

My library which is not listed in beets contains a lot of remixes and remix albums.
Which in my opinion leads to a lot of trouble.

One thing I tumbled over is the behaviour of the albumartist field.
Deep in the docs I read beets handles it like a field for every artist which took part on an album.
While the artist, in this case while using the deezer plugin, is just the first artist from the listing.

My understanding in the past which made a lot more sense to me was that the albumartist is the main artist. So as an example, while using the following album:
The Age Of Love (Charlotte de Witte & Enrico Sangiuliano Remix - Edit) - Age Of Love - Deezer

This one is the main artist:

Age Of Love

Because it was release in his name.
The Artist itself so the guys who have contributed on this track are the following.

Charlotte de Witte

Enrico Sangiuliano

So for me in the past it was pretty straight forward:
Albumartist(released under): Age Of Love
Artist(worked specifically on this track): Age Of Love, Charlotte de Witte, Enrico Sangiuliano

While beets makes it the whole other way around:
Artist(just the first from the albumartist listing): Age Of Love
Albumartist(all which contributed on the album): Age Of Love, Charlotte de Witte, Enrico Sangiuliano

While I guess in some situations it makes sense to handle it like it is at the moment, for me, it doesn’t work at all at the moment.

So here comes the question, is there a flag I didn’t find till now to change this behaviour?

1 Like