Help with config file

Hi all, apologise in advance for the long post. Setting up Beets again for first time in a while, but this time I am using the linuxserver/beets docker image running on a Synology NAS. It is quite handy being able to use terminal window within Synology’s Docker App without needing to SSH in.

I have inherited a fair sized config file from the docker image and have made changes, additions and retractions, but I am having the following issues:

RESOLVED 1.) Artist folders and album folders are recreated and renamed in my library directory fine, but track filenames do not take properly. I am literally getting “%track - %title.1.flac”, “%track - %title.2.flac” and so on (this happened before I tried implementing no.2 below).

RESOLVED 2.) Tried to facilitate multi-disc releases following the instructions in the FAQ https://beets.readthedocs.io/en/stable/faq.html#create-disc-n-directories-for-multi-disc-albums but now I am getting an additional folder between the album folder and tracks called “%if{$multidisc,Disc $disc” and the last “}” carries over to the track title.

3.) Is it possible for the directories in the import folder to be deleted after the newly tagged files have been moved? After import I am left with empty folders (everything is backed up before the import).

4.) How do I keep uppercase for first letters of all words? “The” is changed to "the ect.

5.) On lines 63-67 you can see that I have tried to make Discogs the preferred source for tags over MusicBrainz. I have been prompted for a Discogs token but after entering that I am still getting all matches with MusicBrainz instead, anything I need to adjust there?

6.) This one may not be possible, but wondering if the original import album folder has a cue/log or both, can we tell Beets to prefer to match to CD release? I seem to be getting a lot of Web matches when around 90% of my collection is CD.

Here is my config file:

plugins: [fetchart, embedart, convert, scrub, replaygain, lastgenre, chroma, web, extrafiles, discogs, inline]
directory: /music
library: /config/musiclibrary.blb
art_filename: albumart
threaded: yes
original_date: no
per_disc_numbering: no

#convert:
#    auto: no
#    ffmpeg: /usr/bin/ffmpeg
#    opts: -ab 320k -ac 2 -ar 48000
#    max_bitrate: 320
#    threads: 1

paths:
    default: $albumartist/$albumartist - $original_year - $album%aunique{} [$media] [$format $samplerate $bitdepth-bit] {$catalognum}/%if{$multidisc,Disc $disc/}$track - $title
    singleton: $artist/$title [$media] [$format $samplerate $bitdepth]
    comp: VA/$original_year - $albumartist - $album%aunique{} [$media] [$format $samplerate $bitdepth-bit] {$catalognum}/%if{$multidisc,Disc $disc/}$track - $title
    albumtype_soundtrack: Soundtracks/$original_year - $album%unique{} [$media] [$format $samplerate $bitdepth-bit] {$catalognum}/%if{$multidisc,Disc $disc/}$track - $title

item_fields:
    multidisc: 1 if disctotal > 1 else 0

import:
    write: yes
#    copy: no
    move: yes
    resume: yes
    incrlslemental: yes
    quiet_fallback: skip
    timid: no
    log: /config/beet.log

lastgenre:
    auto: yes
    source: album

embedart:

fetchart:

replaygain:
    auto: no

scrub:

replace:
    '^\.': _
    '[\x00-\x1f]': _
    '[<>:"\?\*\|]': _
    '[\xE8-\xEB]': e
    '[\xEC-\xEF]': i
    '[\xE2-\xE6]': a
    '[\xF2-\xF6]': o
    '[\xF8]': o
    '\.$': _
    '\s+$': ''

discogs:
    source_weight: 0.0

musicbrainz:
    source_weight: 0.5

extrafiles:
    patterns:
        all: ['*.log', '*.cue', '*.m3u', '*.LOG', '*.CUE', '*.M3U']

web:
    host: 0.0.0.0
    port: 8337

beets version 1.6.0                                                                                   
Python version 3.11.6                                                                                 
plugins: chroma, convert, discogs, embedart, extrafiles, fetchart, inline, lastgenre, replaygain, scru
b, web

Solved issue 1 - changed the catalognum tag so it is in brackets instead of using {}:

paths:
    default: $albumartist/$albumartist - $original_year - $album%aunique{} [$media] [$format $samplerate $bitdepth-bit] ($catalognum)/%if{$multidisc,Disc $disc/}$track - $title

Solved issue 2 - I think the above fixed this

Workaround issue 6 - added:

match:
    preferred:
        media: cd

Still trying to solve the following if anyone can kindly assist:

3.) Is it possible for the directories in the import folder to be deleted after the newly tagged files have been moved? After import I am left with empty folders (everything is backed up before the import).

4.) How do I keep uppercase for first letters of all words? “The” is changed to "the ect.

5.) On lines 63-67 you can see that I have tried to make Discogs the preferred source for tags over MusicBrainz. I have been prompted for a Discogs token but after entering that I am still getting all matches with MusicBrainz instead, anything I need to adjust there?

6.) This one may not be possible, but wondering if the original import album folder has a cue/log or both, can we tell Beets to prefer to match to CD release? I seem to be getting a lot of Web matches when around 90% of my collection is CD.

Also since I have multiple disc directories working now, I realise that extrafiles does not copy over .cue and .log files over to these directories or the parent directory using:

extrafiles:
    patterns:
        all: ['*.log', '*.cue', '*.m3u', '*.LOG', '*.CUE', '*.M3U']
  1. It should do that, if the directory is empty. It seems like it doesn’t always work though, but for me it does most of the time.
    Configuration — beets 1.6.0 documentation

2. Can you use %title{text}?
    Path Formats — beets 1.6.0 documentation

Sorry for the late reply.

1. The %title{text} worked perfectly thanks.

2. I used clutter to remove the files that were left over (*.txt, *.cue, *.log, *.txt) but this now prevents these files from being copied over using extra files, as they are likely deleted first before they can be copied. If I can get extrafiles to move the additional files rather than copy them, then I think this would be a solution.

Try this updated version of extra files, it has just added capability to move sub-directories while keeping the structure

beets-filetote

Yes using this now, as it was also suggested on another thread I made. I also changed import to move instead of copy. This seems to have done the trick. Not sure if it is a combination of both or just one but I don’t really want to touch anything now as it is working.

Just a more few files types I added to clutter to make most of the directories delete after import.

One thing which is odd and may throw people off in thinking it’s not working, is that the extrafiles does not move and directories do not delete until after beets has finished or abandoned the import. Once stopped, all the folders and files start moving/disappearing like magic.