Beginner questions on Discogs integration & tag manipulation

I just found Beets. It seems really cool I have installed it and tried out the basics by following the documentation. However some things are not really clear to me and I have been unable to figure some things out so far. But since Beets is very flexible I hope it is possible to set it up correctly for my needs. Sorry if I missed it in the documentation, it’s just a lot to read and comprehend and I just didn’t find the answer to these questions…

1. Exactly which tags does Beets actually import? There must be a list of all the tags it tries to fetch and import…?

I would like to import these specific tags from Discogs:

ALBUM
ALBUMARTIST
ARTIST
CATALOGID
COUNTRY
DISCNUMBER
DISCOGS_RELEASE_ID
GENRE
MEDIATYPE
PUBLISHER
STYLE
TITLE
TRACK
YEAR

…plus ideally also an image download of the album cover from Discogs.

1. As mentioned I want Discogs tags. I prefer Discogs over MusicBrainz, by experience it suits my music much, much better. There is the plugin for Discogs but can I disable MusicBrainz completely and use Discogs as my only source?

2. For my DJ software I need to copy some tags to other tags (that I fetch from Discogs and should be overwritten if already filled). These are the ones I want/need:

copy CATALOGID to COMMENT
copy CATALOGID to WORK
copy PUBLISHER to GROUPING
copy PUBLISHER to LABEL
copy YEAR to RELEASED
copy YEAR to DATE_RECORDED
copy STYLE to GENRE
copy KEY to INITIALKEY

Can Beets do this? How?

I believe this is not a core feature but I found some plugin at GitHub - mattbarnicle/beetsplug: Various plugins for beets media organizer (see “tagcopy”), would this be the best and most stable solution to achieve this?

1. Can Beets automatically set the tags for TRACK and DISCNUMBER to the format (X)X/(X)X? (I.e. a track which is #21 of #30 on disc #2 of #3 should get the tag TRACK = 21/30 and DISCNUMBER = 2/3.)

2. Does Beets, if Discogs has marked a release as a compilation, set the tag COMPILATION to 1 (I believe the id3v2.4 tag for compilation is 1 for yes or 0 for no) and can it based on this tag copy the compilation-marked files to a special folder for this (i.e. /Compilations instead of /AlbumArtist)?

Thank you!

1 Like