Tagging and renaming files

Hi!

I have been trying to get Beet to tag and rename my music files. But i cant get it right. I want my files to look like this:
A/Albumartist, The/AlbumType/Albumartist-Rel.Year-Album (Label)/Disc-Track - Artist - Song

I treid this commands (and other) butit gets all wrong every time!

default: %upper{%left{$albumartist,1}}/%asciify{$albumartist}/$albumtype-%asciify{$albumartist}-$original_year-%asciify{$album}%aunique{} $album%aunique{albumdisambig, albumdisambig country label}%if{$albumdisamambig, [%title{$albumdisambig}]}}/$disc-$track-%asciify{$artist}-%asciify{$title}

Can anyone help me or guide me. I have checked the official guide.
Thank you!

Yes! I got it! Almost…Execpt for the Album Artist sorting. I want to move “the” to the end of the album artist like: “The Beatles” will be “Beatles, The” and create the folder “B”

Heres the code i used:
default: %upper{%left{$albumartist,1}}/%asciify{$albumartist}/$albumtype/%asciify{$albumartist} - $original_year - $album%aunique{albumdisambig country, label}%if{$albumdisamambig, [%title{$albumdisambig}]}/$disc - $track - %asciify{$artist} - %asciify{$title}

Welcome @GreenLantern81!

There is a plugin named ‘The Plugin’ that you can activate in your config.yaml that will provide you with functionality that you are looking for.

https://beets.readthedocs.io/en/stable/plugins/the.html

you can then use the following in your path:
%the{$albumartist}
I don’t know how that works with %asciify but that’s probably not to difficult to figure out.

1 Like

Indeed! Also try the $artist_sort and $albumartist_sort fields, if those are populated by MusicBrainz.

In the future, when you paste things from your configuration, please use a Markdown “code block” (see the Discourse editor toolbar), which makes them easier to read and preserves formatting.

Thank you! It works now :slight_smile:

And maybe this helps too:
https://beets.readthedocs.io/en/stable/reference/config.html#asciify-paths

asciify_paths

Convert all non-ASCII characters in paths to ASCII equivalents.

For example, if your path template for singletons is singletons/$title and the title of a track is “Café”, then the track will be saved as singletons/Cafe.mp3. The changes take place before applying the replace configuration and are roughly equivalent to wrapping all your path templates in the %asciify{} template function.

Default: no.

1 Like

Thank you for taking your time! I will definitely use this :+1:

1 Like