Tag for 'releasegroupdisambig'?

Thanks for the info. Any objections to involving someone from the Picard team here?

Rationale: I see there is a need for album disambiguation (apart from using the MB album ID), for folder naming use, and I strongly believe everything should be reconstructable from tags, and tags possibly unified so that others could also easily use these, like Picard, Mp3tag, and foobar2000, to name a few.

I’d like to suggest introducing two new ‘pseudo-official’ tags for the Release (=Album) Comment and the Releasegroup Comment. Btw, the reason I decided to use the release group comment is that the release comments are already quite polluted in MB with things like “limited edition” or so, whereas usually a good disambiguation comes from the release group. (Thinking of the Peter Gabriel albums all named “Peter Gabriel” but nicely separated by the release group comments “Car”, “Scratch”, “Melt” and “Security”, as an example.)

I feel beets’ approach of naming these “the MusicBrainz way” is much better than what I used before, because it clearly puts the tags in the “MusicBrainz” namespace. Ideally, this should of course be supported by the official MusicBrainz tagger, i.e. Picard. And others, if anyhow possible.

I opened ticket PICARD-1617 and proposed the same on Hydrogenaudio and Mp3tag, so this issue can stay in sync.