Resuming interrupted import starts over

Hi - I’m new here. Searched the docs and the forums and only found one topic that didn’t have a solution. The importer seems semi-stable. I’m importing with something pretty straightforward:

beet import -g --group-albums

using only one plugin:

plugins: fromfilename

the first 15 albums I’ve tried to import it has crashed 3-4 times. So I’ve found myself restarting the import again. But every single time I restart, it puts me right back at the very start. My state.pickle has all kinds of stuff in it:

<80>^C}q^@X^K^@^@^@tagprogressq^A}q^B(N]q^CC<81>/Volumes/Backup Mania/Amazon Music Backup/(!!! Chk Chik Chick)/Strange Weather, Isn t It/01-04- Jamie, My Intentions Are Bass.mp3q^DaC(/Volumes/BackupMania/Amazon Music Backupq^E]q^F(C<80>/Volumes/BackupMania/Amazon Music Backup/(!!! Chk Chik Chick)/Strange Weather, Isn t It/01-04- Jamie, My Intentions Are Bass.mp3q^GC<80>/Volumes/BackupMania/Amazon Music Backup/(!!! Chk Chik Chick)/Strange Weather, Isn t It/01-04- Jamie, My Intentions Are Bass.mp3C_/Volumes/BackupMania/Amazon Music Backup/10cc/Food For Thought/-01- DJ Set Food For Thought.mp3q C_/Volumes/BackupMania/Amazon Music Backup/10cc/Food For Thought/-01- DJ Set Food For Thought.mp3q
[…much more…]

etc. I’m not sure what the odd characters are in that file, or what the format of this file is.

I’m not thrilled about the crashes, but when I’ve gutted through re-doing everything the crashes don’t come up again. So, not the end of the world, but it’s a 100% no go for me on Beets if I cannot pick up where I left off.

Ideas? Thanks!

Hmm, in reviewing my post I can see that maybe renaming my hard drive to not have spaces has created an inconsistent state.pickle. At one point I had to change my hard drive name because I suspected Beets was choking on the space in the name.

I blew away the musiclibrary.db file after changing the hard drive name - probably should have blown away state.pickle too.

Gonna try again 100% (I hope) fresh…

Hi! I’m pretty sure that import resuming won’t work with --group-albums. It currently tries to track which directories have been imported, but that option doesn’t use directories as the unit of import.

FWIW, the format of the file is Python pickle data.

I think I may misunderstand what group albums does from the documentation. I’m going to try the default import command and see how far I get. Thanks for the response!

1 Like