Problems to install it on MacOs

hello everybody,

im working on several days using all my skills to get beets run on MacOS, but either im too stupid, or there is something wrong. i really would appreciate it if someone could help me out… yes, i did read all instructions, getting started’s, faq’s, googled all i didnt know but so far, so:

python is installed, comes with MacOS:
MacBook-Pro:~ chris$ python --version
Python 2.7.10
this should be fine, cause docs says ‘You will need Python. Beets works on Python 2.7 and Python 3.4 or later.’

pip is installed:
MacBook-Pro:~ chris$ pip -V
pip 9.0.1 from /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/pip-9.0.1-py2.7.egg (python 2.7)
no idea how i get this to work, but seams it is working

i installed as on getting started:
MacBook-Pro:~ chris$ pip install --user beets
Requirement already satisfied: beets in ./Library/Python/2.7/lib/python/site-packages
Requirement already satisfied: six>=1.9 in ./Library/Python/2.7/lib/python/site-packages (from beets)
Requirement already satisfied: mutagen>=1.33 in ./Library/Python/2.7/lib/python/site-packages (from beets)
Requirement already satisfied: munkres in ./Library/Python/2.7/lib/python/site-packages (from beets)
Requirement already satisfied: unidecode in ./Library/Python/2.7/lib/python/site-packages (from beets)
Requirement already satisfied: musicbrainzngs>=0.4 in ./Library/Python/2.7/lib/python/site-packages (from beets)
Requirement already satisfied: pyyaml in ./Library/Python/2.7/lib/python/site-packages (from beets)
Requirement already satisfied: jellyfish in ./Library/Python/2.7/lib/python/site-packages (from beets)
Requirement already satisfied: enum34>=1.0.4 in ./Library/Python/2.7/lib/python/site-packages (from beets)
says me that i installed it already. no sudo need, no sip or permission errors.

an this is $PATH:
MacBook-Pro:~ chris$ echo $PATH
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/opt/X11/bin
as it was, no changes here. i didnt have permission errors on apples sip, so no need to add ~/Library/Python/2.7/bin to it.

and all i get is:
MacBook-Pro:~ chris$ beets
-bash: beets: command not found
MacBook-Pro:~ chris$ beet
-bash: beet: command not found

i also try to locate or find the command ‘beet’, but wasnt successful.

so, u may guess the question now… what the heck i do wrong?

system used:
Systemversion: macOS 10.12.3 (16D32)
Kernel-Version: Darwin 16.4.0

tnk u!

Hi! Because you used the --user option to install, you will indeed need to add that user-specific bin directory to your path.

hello adrian,

thank you for supporting me. i got the idea what u mean basically, but i installed it with option --user and (as i tried to get it work) also without --user. after understanding it, my next problem is to find out what user specific bin directory i need to add. theres a lots of ‘bin’ on the drive… some unter ~/LibraryPython/2.7 and do i have to add the path to python, to python/2.7/ oder is there dir for beets itself…? still dont get it. would u pls gimme a hint, or better and if possible can u give me the right dir to add to $PATH? im really horny to try out beets and hardly cant wait to get it run.

chris

You need to find the path where beet lives. It’s probably ~/Library/Python/2.7/bin, but you can use ls ~/Library/Python/2.7/bin to check.

It works!! Great!! Tnk u soooo much! cant wait to play around with it. adrian = my superhero of the day!

Rather then creating a new topic I’d like to continue on this.

So I did all of the above. When I do an echo $PATH i see ~/Library/Python/2.7/bin added. This path does include beet as I see it when I do a “sudo ls ~/Library/Python/2.7/bin”.

When I enter “beet” or “beets” in terminal I get -bash: beet: command not found

My OS is High Sierra. Any help would be appreciated

Think I figured out my issue; my Python folder is not accessible. If i use sudo beets it works… Mac:/. Fixed: