Overwriting destination files

Hi there,

How would one go about overwriting the destination file ? Say for example you are reimporting a remastered version of an album, the destination files already existing ( I chose “replace” when asked ) but I would like the old file to actually get overwritten as opposed to adding .1 as a new file .

Thank you :slight_smile:

Hello! Choosing “replace old” should do it… is it not deleting the files associated with the album you asked to delete?

Unfortunately it is not, I end up with a duplicated file with a digit added at the end before the file extension . What would be the best way to troubleshoot that ?

Is there any way you can set up a step-by-step process for someone to reproduce the behavior? (Including importing the original, to-be-replaced music?) Including the verbose output of that reproduction case would be useful.

Ok, I think I found the issue . Some albums are already in the database but with a different extension ( m4a instead of Flac ) that’s because I batch converted everything after import ( my bad ) . So when we import with Beet it actually tries to replace the file, but since no .m4a is found at destination it collides with the existing .flac and plays it safe by adding a digit, which is nice :slight_smile:

So I think I’ll put my sqlite gloves on and replace all the .m4a files in the database with .flac instead .

thanks !

1 Like