Force beets list to list ALL known fields for a query

Hi

First off, beets is awesome, it’s almost perfect and with plugins and the ability to write your own, it is almost my dream music librarian. However, one thing that infuriates me (or maybe its just me being dumb) is there appears to be no way to force beets to list all the information it knows about an individual entry / output of a query.

I understand I can use list -f and a load of field formatting, but this would require me to manually list all known fields, which seems a little mad. Then there is the info plugin, which I understand lists all the Metadata fields in relation to a song / query, but again, not all the fields beets has recorded for that song / query.

So, is there something I am missing here - to see ALL the fields (both built in and flex attr) that are populated for a given query / song, or is this just not possible?

1 Like

Hi! Awesome; I’m glad you’re enjoying beets!

Could I get you to clarify the difference between what you imagined and the info plugin? This sentence didn’t quite parse for me:

Then there is the info plugin, which I understand lists all the Metadata fields in relation to a song / query, but again, not all the fields beets has recorded for that song / query.

Any chance you could clarify what info is not doing?

One thing to point out is that the beet info command has two modes: a “file” mode and a “library” mode (with -L), one of which might be what you’re looking for.

2 Likes

Ahh, you wonderful person, I had no idea about the info -l option, that was exactly what I was after - listing the library info for a song (and that is what I so crudely meant by listing ALL the info about the file). So now I can see stuff like:

mood_acoustic: 0.002905 mood_aggressive: 0.802746 mood_electronic: 0.119361 mood_happy: 0.792607 mood_party: 0.620144 mood_relaxed: 0.018392 mood_sad: 0.184919

To confirm the acoustic brainz data is getting updated.

Lovely job ;0)

3 Likes