Custom tag mapping

Hello everyone,

I’m completely new to using Beets, so pardon me if that question is stupid, but I’ve searched around a lot and could not find a satisfying answer.

When autotagging, I have a few goals, which would all require custom tag mapping.

1. I would like to tag the “year” as the exact release date (including day and month), in the YYYY.MM.DD style.
  2. That one is far fetched, but if the release is a live album, I would LOVE the Comments field to also add the gig date and place.
  3. I would like the “Comments” field to be filled with the Discogs catalog number ($catalognum, I believe) Done
  4. I’d like to map the default “Genres” to Discogs’ Styles Done

I am ready to learn how to make a plugin, or how to modify the existing plugins if that’s what it takes, provided some guidance obviously, but I’d have to make sure that the feature doesn’t already exist.

Thank you for your help!

• That one is far fetched, but if the release is a live album, I would LOVE the Comments field to also add the gig date and place.

You’re going to need a data source for this. Musicbrainz? Bandsintown? Something else? Then you’ll probably have to make a custom fetcher for it, then integrate it to the tagging system.

Thank you for the answer! Discogs is usually my source, as it’s usually the most accurate and complete one, but that would require some work indeed.

Do you have any idea about how to do #1?

You can definitely compute the year-mm-dd but I don’t know if you can write tags for it, especially overwriting base beets tags. You’d have to write a plugin.

https://beets.readthedocs.io/en/latest/dev/plugins.html

Hi, How did you go about doing #4?

Very interested in that myself if I understand correctly.

Sorry for the late reply!

It seems the Styles plugin is supposed to do just that. Although - as I have noticed with subsequent imports - it does not work reliably.

Thanks. Maybe that plugin no longer exists? I can find no refrence to it anywhere.

It seems to have been deleted indeed. I guess it broke at some point, and nobody fixed it?