Speed of beets

I absolutely love beets. I have dropped my whole music library in it and use it all the time. I currently have about 1900 albums in beets and tend to add 1 every week or two.

Importing a ripped CD of FLAC fies take me about 2-3 minutes to complete. And editing tags using the modify command seems to take around 5 minutes.

Considering the size of the database, are these speeds normal, or are they slower than they should be, and can I do anything to speed it up?

Can the database be optimized or compacted in any way?

1 Like

Yay!

There’s no easy answer to this, but if you’re interested in helping out, there certainly are ways. We could really, really use someone motivated to use a Python profiler to find bottlenecks in the common commands they use. We could use those profiling results to propose optimizations.

I’d say these speeds are normal. At least I get the same. Most of the time is used by plugins: the lyrics search and ReplayGain analysis.

If you have a guide, I’d be more that willing to help.

I actually think the Python documentation’s guide to using the Python profilers is pretty excellent: https://docs.python.org/3/library/profile.html

I’ll take a look when I have some time.

Andy