Plugin: Pitchfork Album Reviews (looking for testers)

I’ve created a hacky plugin that grabs album reviews from Pitchfork, you can find it here: https://github.com/fortes/beets-pitchfork

To install, run:

pip install git+git://github.com/fortes/beets-pitchfork.git@master

And add pitchfork to your plugin list.

You can now add reviews via the pitchfork command, like this: beet pitchfork kendrick lamar (be nice to Pitchfork’s servers, and don’t try to query your entire library at once!)

The plugin adds the following flexible album attributes:

• pitchfork_bnm: Whether the album was awarded “Best New Music”
  • pitchfork_description: Album abstract
  • pitchfork_score: Numeric score given by p4k
  • pitchfork_url: The URL to the review

The plugin uses the full album name & album artist name, which means matches are not always found. I’m not yet sure how to best fix this, so I’m open to ideas!

A help question from me: I’ve tried using %ifdef{pitchfork_score,$pitchfork_score} in format_album config, but it will output $pitchfork_score when the value isn’t present. What am I doing wrong?

Wow; this looks awesome! Nice work.

Your syntax for ifdef seems right, so this might be a beets bug. In fact, just %ifdef{pitchfork_score} should do it. Maybe something’s wrong with our implementation of the function?

Ah, looks like %ifdef{pitchfork_score} returns 0.0, which I can live with. Thanks.

Related: Is there anything like the inline plugin’s album_type for format_album?

Hmm, I’m not quite sure I understand—what’s the album_type you’re referring to? Is this something inline-specific?

Sorry, that’s a typo – I meant album_fields: https://beets.readthedocs.io/en/v1.4.7/plugins/inline.html#album-fields

It should be possible to use inline-defined album fields in format_album; sure.

Or perhaps you’re asking whether it’s possible to use template syntax to define new fields? Not currently, unfortunately, but it would be pretty cool…

Another stupid typo on my part, got it working now. Thanks!