Best way to totally uninstall and start from scratch

I have been limping along for about 12 months with random errors that come and go, I want to totally uninstall and start from scratch .

I am using Linux Mint 20

I think I have the repository package, it wont update past 1.4.9-4.

Do I need to remove plugins separately? I have tried and its states they can’t be found, even though I have been using them. Any advice appreciated to totally clean out all beets stuff. I have backed up all my config and custom genre files.

As far as I know, Linux Mint uses the same repositories as Ubuntu; the latest version there is still 1.4.9, based on beets package versions - Repology

I would probably advise installing beets using pipx. I installed pipx itself via my package manager rather than with pip as they recommend, since I prefer to stick with one tool for managing system-wide installs. Then you can pipx install beets and pipx inject beets python3-discogs-client for installing plugins or their dependencies (that’s the example for the discogs plugin; replace python3-discogs-client with whatever else you need for other plugins).

1 Like

Yes, I was planning on using pip to get the newest version. Thanks for the additional info on that.

However I am still stuck on uninstalling. I don’t think I will have a problem uninstalling the main package, but I am worried there will be random plugins still installed because I have had no luck removing them. Would that even be an issue?

I don’t think it would be an issue. Beets only activates plugins that you list in your config file, so just having the files around shouldn’t be harmful. And pipx installs to an isolated location, so I think they won’t have an effect, in any case.

Just a little messy & taking up space on your hard drive, but that’s life when using any of the mainstream packaging systems (projects like NixOS and rpm-ostree/Fedora SilverBlue are trying to solve this, but I’m not sure they’re ready to recommend for most people yet).

If you do end up running into issues down the line, you can look into what files are provided by a package to make sure they’re fully uninstalled (as long as you remember the package name).