Beets won't create directories in VM shared directory

I have beets installed a debian VM and then installed open-vm-tools on the allow VMware to create shared directories with the windows10 host machine. I’ve then made two shared drives which are located in /mnt/hgfs/. “Host-Share” for where my music resides and “Beets-Library” for the beets library.

Beets can read the music fine but when it tries to write the music to the “Beets-Library” directory it will not follow any of my Paths configuration. It dumps all the files into the “Beets-Library” with odd modifications to the file names such as “.mp3.1” or only half the name of the song. If I point the library config to a local directory on the VM beets with properly build the directories specified in my Path config.

Without special privileges I can mkdir in these directories too so I’m not sure why Beets silently fails to create directories.

Hmm… can you include your configuration?

directory: ~/Beets-Library  # symbolic link to /mnt/Beets-Library == shared drive on host
library: ~/beets/musiclibrary.db
threaded: yes

import:
  copy: true
  move: false
  write: true
  delete: false
  log: ~/beets-import.log
  set_fields:
    style: 'To Listen'
    collection: 'Unordered'

plugins: [
  web,
  fromfilename,
  badfiles,
  lastgenre,
  ftintitle,
  embedart,
  fetchart,
  scrub,
  replaygain,
  mbsync,
  alternatives,
  the,
  bucket,
  missing,
  info,
]

replaygain:
  backend: bs1770gain
  overwrite: yes
  r128: Opus
  method: replaygain
  chunk_al: 5000

the:
  a: yes
  the: yes
  strip: no
  format: '{0}, {1}'

format_item: $artist - $album - $title
format_album: $albumartist - $album

sort_item: artist+ album+ disc+ track+
sort_album: albumartist+ album+
sort_case_insensitive: yes

original_data: no
per_disc_numbering: no
va_name: 'Various Artists'
ignore: .AppleDouble ._* *~ .DS_Store

musicbrains:
  searchlimit: 10

paths:
  default: $style/$albumartist%aunique{}/$artist - $title
  singleton: $style/$albumartist%aunique{}/$artist - $title
  comp: $style/$album%aunique{}/$artist - $title

Very strange! I don’t see anything obviously wrong. Is there any chance this could be at the result of bugs in the VMware shared the directory driver? If beets works fine on a normal local directory, I struggle to think of any other reasonable explanation.

It could be but I don’t know yet… I just thought I’d ask before I bang my head on the table much longer.

Thanks for the quick reply.