SyntaxErrors off the bat from a pip install

I’m excited to get started with Beets, but I’m running an issue right off the bat after installing it. I’m running Ubuntu Server 18.04 bionic with pip and python packages installed. I used pip install beets (both as a standard user and as superuser for troubleshooting) which seemed to go well enough, but running beets or any variation with options results in a crash:

> beet

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/beet", line 7, in <module>
    from beets.ui import main
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/beets/ui/__init__.py", line 42, in <module>
    from beets.autotag import mb
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/beets/autotag/__init__.py", line 26, in <module>
    from .match import tag_item, tag_album, Proposal  # noqa
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/beets/autotag/match.py", line 24, in <module>
    from munkres import Munkres
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/munkres.py", line 79
    def pad_matrix(self, matrix: Matrix, pad_value: int=0) -> Matrix:
                               ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

This is after virtually no post-install configuration - I’m just running the command directly after installation. Can anyone offer any insight on this problem?

0 Likes

This issue (and the ones I linked to there) are about this problem:

1 Like

Thank you for linking that, I can’t believe none of this showed up while I was searching… Much appreciated!

Edit: I apologize if this is obvious, but regarding the ticket, how do I make beets use Python 3 when I’m running it from command line?

0 Likes

You’ll want to install it using Python 3, i.e., make sure that pip is a Python 3 program (or use pip3 if that’s available) before you pip install beets.

1 Like

That was the ticket, thank you again Adrian!

0 Likes