Path creation for 36 disc album

Hello, first post, new(ish) user of beets. Thank you for beets as it has met 90% of my needs so far.

I am curious about how to address large box sets. My example is:

https://musicbrainz.org/release/9daed46d-7eae-47b2-b599-fb0511d74299

The structure on the drive is:

X:\Test\Phish - The Complete Baker's Dozen - 2017 [FLAC]\7.21.2017 - Coconut\Disc 1,2,3
    X:\Test\Phish - The Complete Baker's Dozen - 2017 [FLAC]\7.22.2017 - Strawberry\Disc 1,2,3

The structure that I am seeking:

X:\Test\Phish\Phish (2017) The Complete Baker's Dozen [ [JEMP Records] {24-192 CD}\Phish (2017) 7.21.2017 Coconut\01 - Shake Your Coconuts

My config path structure is:

$albumartist/$albumartist ($original_year) $album [$catalognum] {$bitdepth-$samplerate $media}/$track - $title

This is a 36 disc set. I do not need disc numbering, actually prefer to not have it. Any suggestions on how to modify the path to accomplish my hopeful outcome?

Also, Musicbrainz isn’t finding it when I $ beet import /music and when I work to help it find it, it isn’t matching either.

Thank you.

Hello, and welcome!!

It seems like what you’re missing from your desired path is the bit where it says Phish (2017) 7.21.2017 Coconut, right? Can you explain what that data should look like, and where the data should come from? Like $artist ($year) $something $another_thing? Are those fields you’d like to provide manually?

A couple of tips come to mind:

• Try searching on the MB website to make sure it’s in the catalog.
  • Because the subdirectory structure is somewhat nonstandard (see this FAQ, you might try using the --flat option or similar to import just this one album.

@adrian Thank you for your prompt response and apologies for my very delayed reply.

@adrian It seems like what you’re missing from your desired path is the bit where it says Phish (2017) 7.21.2017 Coconut , right? Can you explain what that data should look like, and where the data should come from? Like $artist ($year) $something $another_thing ? Are those fields you’d like to provide manually?

I’d like the folder structure to look like this:

\Phish
     \Phish (2017) The Complete Baker's Dozen [ [JEMP Records] {24-192 CD}
          \Phish (2017) 7.21.2017 Coconut
              \01 - Shake Your Coconuts
          \Phish (2017) 7.22.2017 Strawberry
              \01 - Strawberry Fields Forever

@adrian A couple of tips come to mind:

• Try searching on the MB website to make sure it’s in the catalog.
  • Because the subdirectory structure is somewhat nonstandard (see this FAQ, you might try using the --flat option or similar to import just this one album.

It is listed on MusicBrainz, it’s just not populating when /import is run. I will try the --flat option during my next test run.

I guess I was wondering where that information should come from… like, if you were to try formatting it as a path template, what would it look like? What fields do you have working already, and which are you missing?

If you have found the album on MusicBrainz, try the “enter Id” option to force a particular match.

@adrian like, if you were to try formatting it as a path template, what would it look like? What fields do you have working already, and which are you missing?

I have the below currently which is 95% working, with the exception of the $track - $title which changes the filenames to $track - $title1.flac, - $title2.flac, etc. instead of the title of the track which is frustrating. The ID tag is correct but the filename is not.

$albumartist/$albumartist ($original_year) $album [$catalognum] {$bitdepth-$samplerate $media}/$track - $title

My thought is that the below is what I’d like to use:

$albumartist/$albumartist ($original_year) $album [$catalognum] {$bitdepth-$samplerate $media}/$albumartist - $concertdate - $venue\$track - $title

$concertdate and $venue would need to be created.

I’m not sure how to integrate the name/description of each show. For example, MB has it listed as CD 1,2,3: Night 1: Tonight's Flavor Coconut - July 21st, 2017. While Discogs has it broken out by each date Night 1: Tonight's Flavor Coconut - July 21st, 2017 which I find more appealing. I don’t know what to call the “title” of each part of the box set as it would be distinct from the overall box set title.