Lastgenre immediate "cli-exit" after "library_opened"

Hello,

My issue is that I can’t seem to get Lastgenre to even attempt to get genre data from Last.fm. I am running beets through a docker container on Linux.

Here is the command that I am running (Hotel Pools is an artist and I have a single album in that directory):

beet -vv lastgenre --force “/input/Hotel Pools/”

And here is the output:

user configuration: /config/config.yaml
data directory: /config
plugin paths: /sitepackages/pylast
Sending event: pluginload
lastgenre: Loading canonicalization tree /config/tree.yaml
library database: /config/musiclibrary.blb
library directory: /music
Sending event: library_opened
Sending event: cli_exit

From looking at other peoples’ output of Lastgenre, I can see that it starts to query Last.fm after “Sending event: library_opened”. I’m stumped trying to figure out why this is not working.

Any help would be appreciated! TIA

Hello! The first thing to check is whether the query matches anything. Try this:

beet ls "/input/Hotel Pools/"

Also, in the future, please use Markdown code blocks instead of blockquotes when pasting. It preserves the formatting and makes things easier to read.

Hi Adrian, thanks for the quick response.

beet -vv ls "/input/Hotel Pools/"

Still produces the same output.

user configuration: /config/config.yaml
data directory: /config
plugin paths: /sitepackages/pylast
Sending event: pluginload
library database: /config/musiclibrary.blb
library directory: /music
Sending event: library_opened
Sending event: cli_exit

I tried querying the whole input folder and still am seeing the same output.

This is odd as when I search the input folder using

ls /input

I see all of the albums so I know it’s not an issue with the docker volume linking.

Any thought?

Beets is telling you there that the query didn’t match any music. Perhaps the more predictable thing to do would be to use a normal, non-path query—for example, beet ls -a artist:Hotel or whatever it is you’re searching for. You can read more about queries here:
https://beets.readthedocs.io/en/stable/reference/query.html

You’re using a path query, which is a particular kind of query that might not be what you actually want. You can experiment a bit with different combinations of -a, -p, and various queries to see what your beets database actually contains and how queries work—remembering that beets is not just interacting directly with the filesystem. Playing around with these things should help you craft a query that finds the music you want.