Beets fails to load - pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound

Hi there!

I am running Manjaro and after the last update I am running into a problem that beets won’t start anymore. I have reinstalled PIP and my Python version is 3.7.3.

Beets Version: 1.4.9, I believe after installing it via Pip

it seems like Beets requires the older 1.4.7 version but Python fails because the installed Beets version is 1.4.9. Is this just me or is there a bug in the code?

Exception Thrown by Python:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 583, in _build_master
ws.require(__requires__)

File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 900, in require
needed = self.resolve(parse_requirements(requirements))

File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 791, in resolve
raise VersionConflict(dist, req).with_context(dependent_req)

pkg_resources.VersionConflict: (beets 1.4.9 (/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages), Requirement.parse('beets==1.4.7'))

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/daniel/.local/bin/beet", line 6, in <module>
from pkg_resources import load_entry_point
File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3250, in <module>
@_call_aside

File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3234, in _call_aside
f(*args, **kwargs)

File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3263, in _initialize_master_working_set
working_set = WorkingSet._build_master()

File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 585, in _build_master
return cls._build_from_requirements(__requires__)

File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 598, in _build_from_requirements
dists = ws.resolve(reqs, Environment())

File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 786, in resolve
raise DistributionNotFound(req, requirers)

pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: The 'beets==1.4.7' distribution was not found and is required by the application

Hi! I think you need to “uninstall a little harder.” That is, first use pip to uninstall all copies of beets you have. Then look around for any straggling files you need to delete. For example, you will certainly want to rm /home/daniel/.local/bin/beet. Once you’re sure everything’s gone and typing beet says “command not found,” then try reinstalling again.

1 Like

you were right! that solved the problem. thank you so much!

1 Like