Romanized artist name

Is there a plugin that tags certain foreign <artist> under their romanized versions? I often run into a problem were I can’t easily find Asian and Eastern European music on my own library because I don’t know how to spell the names. I have to look them up online and copy-paste the result in the search bar of the music player, really inconvenient. I so wish there was a better way to do this!

You might be interested in the languages option to the importer, which tries to fetch localized names from MusicBrainz, if they’re available there.

1 Like

That’s fantastic! Looks exactly like what I need. May I ask how can I retag my current database now that I’ve appended languages: en to my config? I’ve looked up the modify command, but I’m not sure how to use it here.

You’d need to re-import to fetch the new data from MusicBrainz.

1 Like

I feel like the process didn’t work. I reimported a bunch of albums, and I still have a ton (if not all from before) of glyph artists. Or maybe I misunderstand. Is it expected that “Святослав Вакарчук” doesn’t translate to “Svyatoslav Vakarchuk” for this album?

Here’s the pertinent part of my config:

plugins: missing lyrics fetchart duplicates replaygain zero discogs badfiles chroma lastexport

autotag: yes

art_filename: cover

clutter: .sfv .nfo .m3u Thumbs.DB .DS_Store

original_date: yes

languages: en

va_name: Various

import:
    copy: no
    write: yes
    move: yes

paths:
    default: $albumartist/$album%aunique{albumartist album, tracktotal albumtype year label,()}/$track. $title

For this to work, the artist will need to have an appropriate alias. For that artist, it would need to be listed here:
https://musicbrainz.org/artist/4cf37a71-081f-459f-8b23-1aa9197f6fcb/aliases

But there’s no Latin-script alias I see there. Perhaps you’d like to add one! :smiley:

Oh! Ok, thanks, that makes sense. I will run it again hoping it catches some and then will edit the rest manually and import them as is. I’m very hopeful someone will make a Sonemic plugin in the future when they open their API, which will incidentally “fix” this (they have a most complete database for romanized aliases).

Could sort names be a solution? It’s not as satisfying but it exists for every artist.